U14 Hurling SW Feile Final

27 April 2008
U14 Hurling SW Antrim Feile Final
27 April 2008

Kickhams Creggan 2-02
Tir Na nOg 0-04
Creggan’s young hurlers secured the club’s 5th consecutive South West Antrim feile title at Toome on Sunday 26th April

Played in glorious sunny conditions Creggan effectively secured this victory with two goals from the ever vigilant Caolan Mc Ateer who on both occasions was first to pounce on saves from the Whitehill goalkeeper. Caolan’s scores along with a point from James Carey gave Creggan a 2-01 to 0-03 half time lead.

The second half was all backs to the wall stuff with the Creggan defence under considerable pressure for virtually the entire half. It is hard to know how Tir Na Nog managed to score only one point with the number of chances they had in the second half. All credit however should go to the Creggan defence who stood strong against each attack. Young Donal Carey who came on as a 2nd half substitution had an outstanding game in defence fielding cleanly several high balls and clearing them during the 2nd half onslaught. Gabriel Bateson, Ronan Devlin and Conleth Mc Grenaghan also defended superbly.

A very tough game which now sees Creggan through to the Antrim final against Dunloy in May with a trip to the national finals in Offaly and Laois awaiting the winners.

Kickhams Team – T Burke, C Mc Cann (D Carey), G Bateson, K Allen C Mc Larnon, C Mc Grenaghan, R Devlin, R Mc Cann, K Rice, C Small, C Mc Cann, C Mc Ateer, C Nelson, J Carey, A Totten, (J Mc Ateer), C Rice, M Kelly
More match pictures available in the Gallery section.

U14 Hurling SW Antrim Feile Semi-Final
20 April 2008
Kickhams Creggan 1-07
Sean Stinsons 1-02

A late opportunist goal from one of the youngest players on the field, Connor Small, set Creggan on their way to the 2008 SW Feile final. The young Creggan hurlers now play local rivals Tir Na Nog on Sunday 27th April.

Creggan started very well and three great points from play by James Carey and one from Conor Small gave them a four point lead with four minutes remaining in the first half. However Stinsons midfielder score a point from a free and then fired a 30 yeard free to the roof of the net to bring Stinsons right back into contention. Half time ended all lever 0-04 to 1-01.

The second half was a great battle particularly in the middle third of the field. Ronan Devlin swept up any serious Stinsons attack. The game went scoreless for ten minutes until Charlie Nelson picked up a loose ball and losing his marker drove the ball over the bar to give Creggan the advantage. James Carey followed this with another great point from play while James O Connell scored a free for Stinsons to keep them in touch.

It was however the late in the game first time strike from Conor Small, after Charlie Nelsons shot was saved by the Stinsons keeper, that proved to be the crucial score of the game. James Carey followed this up with another great point from play (his 5th) to effectively kill off any fight left in Stinsons and extending Creggans winning margin to 5 points.

Kickhams Team – T Burke, C Mc Cann, G Bateson, K Allen C Mc Larnon, C Mc Grenaghan, R Devlin, R Mc Cann, K Rice, C Small, C Mc Cann, C Mc Ateer, C Nelson, J Carey, A Totten, J Mc Ateer, C Rice, D Carey

View Gallery