McCormick Cup Final - Kickhams Vs Cargin

28 April 2008
McCormick Cup Final
27 April 2008

Kickhams Creggan 1-09
Cargin 2-08

Creggan Reserves were narrowly defeated in the final of the McCormick Cup on Sunday 27th April at Dunloy.

Creggan can take credit from their second half display against a team two divisions above them, but they just fell short at the end with the damage effectively being done in the first half with the concession of 2 goals.

Cargin were quicker out of the traps from the throw-in and they notched up a goal and two points early on to stamp their authority on the game. Creggan were playing in to what was a deceptively strong wind in the first half and they struggled to get any quality ball in to the forward line.

Kickhams first score of the game came from the boot of Sam Maguire to settle them down but this was responded to by another goal and two points from Erin’s Own and it looked bleak at this stage for the Division 5 side. Through perseverance and hard work though, Creggan replied with two points of their own from Lee Martin, which could have ended up in the net but for a few inches lower, and a Terence McKeown effort.

Cargin kept the pressure up with another point but Creggan ended the half by claiming the last two points from Seamie Allen and a Tommy McCann free to leave the score 0-05 to 2-05 in favour of the men from Toome.

After a talking to at half time, Creggan upped their game considerably and took in to the task of reducing the gap on the score board.

They got the first sore of the second half from Lee Martin to signal their intent. The goal that the Kickhams team needed came after a great catch and run from midfield by Olly Duffin, who slipped the ball in to Sam Maguire. Sam was aware to fist it on behind him to Eunan McAteer who finished to the net to leave just two points between the sides.

Cargin managed to turn the tide back in their favour by registering the next two points to increase the difference to four. Not letting their heads drop, Creggan continued to battle for everything and popped over another 3 points without reply to leave the minimum between the rival neighbours. Lee Martin getting one, and Tommy McCann notching over the other two.

Unfortunately this was as close as Kickhams came to winning this match, as Cargin raised the last white flag of the day with a simple free at the very end.

This Creggan side can take heart from their performance, though the reality of it was they just left themselves with too much to do after allowing in two first half goals. There was no quarter given or asked for in what was a keenly contested game and Cargin I’m sure were grateful to hear the final whistle to win the cup.

Kickhams must re-group now and concentrate on the league with the aim of getting out of Division 5 as they have certainly proved they can hold their own against teams of a higher league standing.

Kickhams Team – Peter Graham, Paul Russell, Sean McLarnon, Benny Maguire, Michael Maguire (Seamie Allen (0-01)), Ronan McAuley (Paddy McAuley), Aidan Maguire, Olly Duffin, Danny Maguire, Cathal Small, Terence McKeown (0-01), Sam Maguire (0-01), Lee Martin (0-03), Eunan McAteer (Capt. 1-0)(Hugh McNulty), Thomas McCann (0-03)

More match pictures available in the Gallery section.

View Gallery